2021-2022 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic year.
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Hayfield Elementary School
Jessica Lewis, Principal
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Incorporate multi-sensory teaching strategies from BrainSprings Phonics First into Tier 1 instruction to increase phonological awareness across multiple grade levels and use Phonics First program for Tier 2/3 small group interventions.
- Incorporate additional use of engaging leveled texts in Tier 1 instruction to increase comprehension, particularly in 4th grade and kindergarten students.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Implement AVMR strategies in Tier 1 instruction in kindergarten through third grade to support student development of number sense.
- Small group instruction to provide Tier 2/3 supports using AVMR and Building Fact Fluency Kits.
- Increase use of hands on manipulatives across all grade levels to support conceptual understanding and number sense.
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- The HES Equity Team will use data from the Equity Audit to guide our decisions and practices around equity for our school and community.
- RULER is a school-wide approach to SEL that teaches emotional intelligences to people of all ages, with the goal of creating a healthier, more equitable, innovative and compassionate society.
- Targeted Student Support
All Fairfax County schools are also required to complete an access and opportunity goal as part of their School Innovation and Improvement Plan (SIIP) and can also capture additional goals. These are shown below.
Goal: By the end of the 2021-2022 school year, all teachers will provide access to rigor in Tier 1 instruction by utilizing AAP curriculum resources.
- HES teachers will implement lessons utilizing AAP curriculum resources.